As part of an ongoing "Publisher Highlight" series, we're interviewing a Simply Hired Publisher to get the inside scoop on their customization, promotion and success tips. In our inaugural publisher spotlight, Chris Russell of AllCountyJobs.com shares his expertise on creating niche job boards and promoting them through online channels.
1. Tell us a little about your site/company/product.
I've been launching and running online job boards since 1999. Today AllCountyJobs.com has almost 50 different niche and local job boards, more than 30 of which run on Job-a-matic. Helping connect job seekers and employers through the web has become my passion.
2. Why did you decide to sign up with Job-a-matic?
As I began to expand my sites the past few years I was looking for a free and easy way to monetize the many domains I had. Job-a-matic offered a fast, simple setup and the chance to also earn revenue through backfill. As my sites grew it just became second nature to start them out on your platform.
3. Why did you pick Simply Hired over other options?
Job-a-matic offers a great starting point to prove a job board's worthiness. You don't need to spend any money to put a site up so you can easily gauge if it's a good niche to target as a business.
4. What have you found to be the biggest benefit of Job-a-matic?
I think the ease of use/free setup is the main benefit. Plus they're great at attracting free search engine traffic.
5. Do you have any customizations to your board? If so, please describe.
I do make a custom header graphic for each site as well as changing the job post button. I also tightly integrate my Adsense code so that I have a third revenue stream in addition to postings & backfill. I haven't ventured into customizing the CSS yet but that's my next goal.
6. What is the biggest benefit of Job-a-matic for your audience?
Definitely being powered by SimplyHired.com. Having all those jobs available really brings credibility to the sites.
7. How do you promote your Job-a-matic board?
All the usual web ways including buying keywords and syndicating the jobs to aggregators. I also use the footer area to link back to my other sites to encourage cross-over traffic.
8. To what do you owe the success of your job board?
I pick good niches to get into. Its important for any new job board today to target a certain industry/job market. That's how you'll gain traffic and postings. Specialize.
9. If you could pass along a single piece of advice to a new Job-a-matic user, what would it be?
Create a professional design for it. It MUST look good in order for people to use it. Poor logos and graphics can kill a job board. A great looking site creates trust among employers and job seekers.
10. For fun, what do you do with the income generated from your Job-a-matic board?
My Job-a-matic earnings pay for my family's two car payments. Thanks Simply Hired!